The Spring Knitting & Stitching Show is to be hosted at London’s Olympia from February 28 to March 3, 2019. Katie Ventresca, event director, commented that dressmaking is a rewarding life skill that will provide you with the knowledge you require to create handmade, stylish outfits that save the planet and money.
She said they are thrilled to be focusing on dressmaking this year, in addition to offering fantastic textile art, craft and design aspects beloved by visitors.
At the Spring Sewing School, expert tutors will be organising a schedule of workshops on upcycling and dressmaking techniques, plus the basics for beginners, creating a piece of clothing in a day, and intermediate skills for more experienced dressmakers.
In addition, a Show Theatre features live dressmaking competitions and a display of haberdashery suppliers, plus handmade fashion catwalks. 50 Years of Fabulous will celebrate the 50th anniversary of designer Zandra Rhodes.
Displays and programmes
The Spring Knitting & Stitching Show covers a wide range of crafts from traditional to modern. Displays include:
– Gallery exhibitions by textile artists Ariella Green, Ailish Henderson, Luisa De Santi, Catherine Kaufman and the Quilters Guild
– Drop-in crochet and knitting lessons from UK Handknitting, plus advice surgeries for textile crafts
– The latest stitch and knit equipment at an Innovation Station
– A competition to create a bag for life to minimise the use of plastic bags
– The gorgeous Enchanted Wood, a scene of crocheted and knitted magical creatures made by the Norfolk Knitters and Stitchers and the Louise Hamilton Knit and Yarn Group
– A new Sip & Stitch Bar marrying hands-on stitching with a glass of fizz
Over 150 specialist retailers will be available for those who want supplies.
If you are looking for dressmaking fabrics and are feeling creative, try looking at dressmaking fabrics online.
The show’s official website can be viewed at https://www.theknittingandstitchingshow.com/spring/.
National Needlecraft Awards
For the second year in a row, The Spring Knitting & Stitching Show will showcase The National Needlecraft Awards. The brainchild of online supplier SewandSo (www.sewandso.co.uk), the awards champion the diverse world of needlecraft and reward skill and talent.
Tickets start at £6. Many options are available from www.theknittingandstitchingshow.com/spring or call 0844 581 1319 (+44 0121 796 6165 from outside the UK). There is a £1.50 booking fee.